At My Family Dentistry, we’ve been treating local families for years, with patients of all ages. Our team has the skill and experience to make every appointment comfortable. That includes paying special attention to our smallest patients, treating them with the utmost care so they can look forward to each following check-up.
We always stay updated on the latest techniques and methods for building and maintaining bright, healthy smiles. Every day, we employ gentle and effective treatment to keep young patients relaxed during their visit. We pride ourselves not just on our knowledge and efficiency, but our high-quality patient care.
Our pediatric dentistry services include:
- Oral exams
- Fillings and sealants
- Cavity prevention education
- Teeth cleaning
- Mouth guards/night guards
- Expert care from an experienced family dentistry team
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, your child’s first dental visit should occur approximately six months after their first tooth shows, and no later than age one. Children should then visit the dentist at least once every six months as their teeth continue to grow in. We know it can be tough choosing a dentist, so we’ve put together a checklist for you to use when making your decision.
Things to look for in a pediatric dentist
1. Specialized experience
Typically, a pediatric dentist must have two to three years of additional training after completing the standard four-year dental school curriculum. Those extra years of study and hands-on experience mean your pediatric dentist has better insight into child psychology, growth, and development as it applies to their dental health.
2. Good at interacting with kids
It may seem obvious, but one of the most important aspects of pediatric dentistry is just knowing how to engage with kids – how to talk with and explain things to them, how to make their experience relaxed and fun, and how to help them feel comfortable with the tools and equipment. If your pediatric dentist does not make an effort to interact with your child on their level, or does not react well to a scared, crying, or anxious child, they’re probably not a good fit.
3. A kid-friendly atmosphere
Does your pediatric dentist’s office look welcoming to children? Are there toys and children’s books or magazines in the waiting room? Are all the dentists, office workers, and dental assistants friendly and accessible to your child? During the appointment, does your pediatric dentist explain what they are doing as they go, so your child always knows what is going on? There’s a lot that goes into making a child’s dentist appointment as comfortable as possible.
4. Plenty of information for children and parents
Your pediatric dentist should always be prepared to offer information on:
- How diet and nutrition affect your child’s teeth
- Proper care of baby teeth
- Demonstration of the proper way to brush and floss
- Proper handling of knocked-out or fractured teeth
- When you should expect your child’s permanent teeth to come in
- Comprehensive oral health care needs of children, including those with special needs
- Determining whether your child has any issues (irregular tooth spacing, jaw size, etc.) that could require special treatment down the line
5. Preventative dental care
When your child visits the dentist, they should be offered both regular cleaning and fluoride treatments, and preventative treatments such as the use of special sealants to stop cavities before they start.
At My Family Dentistry, we work hard to make sure our approach is kid-friendly. Our team stays up-to-date on all the latest pediatric dentistry techniques, procedures, and products, so you can rest assured that your child is receiving care from highly trained and experienced dentistry professionals. We even offer fun and educational activity and coloring books for you to print out and give to your child before their next appointment!
To learn more about the pediatric dentistry services at My Family Dentistry or to book an appointment, fill out the form below to take advantage of our New Patient Special.
Latest posts by Dr. Wesley Mullins (Knoxville Dentist)
- Teeth Whitening – How To Get the Radiant Smile You Deserve - August 16, 2021
- Mouth Cancer Symptoms – Learn How You Can Spot the Signs - August 2, 2021
- Let Your Smile Shine Bright With Cosmetic Dentistry - July 19, 2021
- Pediatric Dentistry – How to Care for Your Child’s Teeth - July 12, 2021
- What Is Botox? 5 Things To Know About the Anti-Aging Remedy - July 5, 2021