The City of Knoxville’s official Christmas theme for 2013 is “A White Christmas in Knoxville.”
While we may not be able to expect snow, Knoxvillians can look forward to loads of glittering white lights, glowing hearts, and holiday cheer – not to mention the lighted Christmas trees springing up on the roofs of buildings all over the city!
If you want to take full advantage of the holiday season with Knoxville Christmas activities, look no further. Read on for the rundown on the City’s official celebrations and how to be a part of them, courtesy of your friends at My Family Dentistry.
Knoxville Christmas Activities
Nov. 29th – Regal Celebration of Lights
The Friday after Thanksgiving (yes, Black Friday) is a great time to take your family downtown for a special Christmas celebration.
Park near Market Square and head to Krutch Park for the “Regal Celebration of Lights,” accompanied by caroling, marshmallow roasting, and a Christmas Market. You won’t be able to miss it – more than 100,000 lights will illuminate the park, and there will be 38-foot Christmas tree in the Krutch Park Extension facing Gay Street.
The evening will also include “Polar Express” train rides down Gay Street for children of all ages, the opening of the popular “Holidays on Ice” skating rink, and free activities like pictures with Santa, face painting, balloon animals, and hot cocoa courtesy of the Salvation Army.
Be sure not to miss these highlights:
- 6:00 PM (Krutch Park Extension) – The official lighting of the tree
- 6:30 PM (Market Square Stage) – The WDVX Holiday Ho-Ho-Hoedown begins with the national champion clogging team from Knoxville’s own Step Above Dance School.
- 7:00 PM (Market Square Stage) – WDVX’s Freddy Smith and his Christmas Chicken will take the stage and share some Christmas tales.
- 7:15 – 9PM (Market Square Stage) – The Streamlines Swing Band will bring the swingin’ sounds of the big band era to Market Square.
Nov. 29th – Jan. 5th – Holidays on Ice Skating Rink
Come test your ice-skating skills at the “Holidays on Ice” open-air skating rink in the heart of Market Square through January 5th (except Christmas Day). Admission is $10 for adults and $7 for children 12 and under, including skate rental. Each night of the week has its own special attraction, so be sure to plan your visit accordingly:
- Mondays: skate with the Knoxville Ice Bears and Chilly
- Tuesdays: skate with the Holidays on Ice mascot
- Wednesdays: Olympic Night
- Thursdays: College Night – $2 off with a college ID
- Fridays & Saturdays: skate to disco lights and music from Knox Vegas DJ
- Sundays: Family Fun Day
Visit Holidays on Ice for hours and more info.
Dec. 6th – WIVK Christmas Parade
Beginning at 7 PM, the annual WIVK Christmas Parade will head down Gay Street for the 41st time. Featuring floats, dancers, marching bands, and, of course, Santa, the parade will also be broadcast live on WVLT for those who can’t make it downtown.
Dec. 13th – Christmas at Chilhowee Park
Christmas at Chilhowee Park is the ideal evening out for families with kids! Bring the kids down to Chilhowee Park at 6 PM to build a gingerbread house (courtesy of the Austin East Culinary Arts Department), take a train ride, and marvel at the floating forest of lighted trees on the lake. Free activities include pictures with Santa, face painting, balloon animals, and hot cocoa courtesy of the Salvation Army.
Until Dec. 16th – Winter Wonderland Window Displays
From now through Dec. 16th, judges will select the best holiday “Winter Wonderland” window displays put up by Knoxville businesses, and the public can vote on our favorites! Click here to view a map of participating businesses, and vote for your favorite at the City’s Special Events Facebook page. The winner will be announced Dec. 16th!
Still looking for that special gift? This year’s official “Christmas in the City” limited-edition keepsake ornament will feature Market Square and Holidays on Ice. The ornaments are available for $35 at Tea & Treasures, located at 4104 Martin Mill Pike.
What are your holiday plans? Let us know in the comments!
If you’d like to receive updates from My Family Dentistry, information and tips about dental care, promotions, and more, subscribe to our email newsletter.
Latest posts by Dr. Wesley Mullins (Knoxville Dentist)
- How the Buteyko Breathing Method Helps Sleep Apnea - March 4, 2019
- Invisalign: The Best Option for Adults Who Want Straighter Teeth - February 21, 2019
- What Causes a Tongue Thrust? - February 19, 2019
- What is Myofunctional Therapy Used For? - January 31, 2019
- Can Buteyko Breathing Improve Your Asthma? - December 17, 2018