Keeping kids engaged in their own dental hygiene can be a challenge, but it’s one of the best ways to help them grow into happy, healthy adults. By finding ways to make dental care fun, parents can help kids build healthy habits that will be with them their entire lives.
If you have curious children who love to explore, they may enjoy hearing stories of what kids in other countries do with the teeth they lose, or learning weird and funny dental facts to tell their friends.
If you have creative kids, use our My Family Dentistry coloring sheets to remind them to brush and floss. So far, we’ve made the Keep ‘Em Pearly Mermaid, T-Rex Says “Brush Your Teeth!”, and The Tooth Mobile.
If you have a child who likes goals and rewards, you can let them earn a treat (preferably a non-candy treat!) after a week or month of great dental hygiene.
The best thing you can do, however, is to regularly check in on their brushing and flossing habits, even as they get older, to continually reinforce good technique and the positive results of great dental hygiene. And don’t forget to lead by example!
Check out our infographic for more ways to make dental care fun for kids, including:
- Use a fun toothbrush
- Pick a flavored toothpaste
- Create a rewards system
- Encourage a healthy diet
- Teach good technique
If you’re looking for more information about dental care for kids, including tips on coming to the dentist, staying safe in school, and preparing for permanent teeth, braces, and more, check out some of our other blog posts about children’s dentistry:
- 3 Important Dental Tips for the School Year
- Why Baby Teeth are Important
- Tips for the First Dental Visit
- How to Teach Good Dental Habits
- Permanent Teeth Coming In? (VIDEO)
- Will My Child Need Braces?
And as always, let us know if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to answer them.
What are your tips for teaching kids good dental hygiene? Let us know in the comments!
Ifs you’d like to receive updates from My Family Dentistry, information and tips about dental care, promotions, and more, subscribe to our email newsletter.
Latest posts by Dr. Wesley Mullins (Knoxville Dentist)
- How the Buteyko Breathing Method Helps Sleep Apnea - March 4, 2019
- Invisalign: The Best Option for Adults Who Want Straighter Teeth - February 21, 2019
- What Causes a Tongue Thrust? - February 19, 2019
- What is Myofunctional Therapy Used For? - January 31, 2019
- Can Buteyko Breathing Improve Your Asthma? - December 17, 2018