Taking care of your dental health should be a year-round habit, but most of us could use a jumpstart on things. This year, make healthy New Year’s resolutions to take better care of your teeth and get into the dentist’s office, and you’ll thank yourself in the long run. My Family Dentistry’s Dr. Wesley Mullins put together this top ten list of resolutions to help you and your family have healthier smiles:
Top 10 Healthy New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Spend more time at home brushing. Twice a day is just the absolute minimum; most people also need to remember to brush for the recommended duration each time they pick up a toothbrush. Try reaching the full two minutes each time you brush for the best results. Use a kitchen timer or the stopwatch function available on most phones to make sure you reach 2 minutes!
2. Start a flossing regimen. Find the time of day that works best for you and make flossing an everyday habit. Flossing is as important as brushing and will remove difficult-to-reach plaque from in between your teeth.
3. Schedule your dental check-ups on time. If you’re some who avoids coming in for check-ups, don’t let weeks turn into months and months into years. You need to have a check-up every 6 months to avoid complications down the road. The New Year is a great chance to get a fresh start, so set the appointment, mark your calendar, and come in to see us as soon as possible.
4. Commit to two cleaning procedures per year. Visiting every six months not only keeps your teeth cleaner, but also ensures that any potentially serious problems are discovered and fixed as quickly as possible. A professional cleaning does much more than you can at home, even with great dental hygiene habits.
5. Whiten your teeth. Treating yourself to a whiter smile helps you look your best everyday and in photographs, and even boosts your confidence. Best of all, whiter teeth can make you look much younger – in many cases, whitening takes more than 10 years off your appearance!
6. Quit smoking. Famous among healthy New Year’s resolutions, quitting tobacco products does more than protect your lungs. Even an occasional social smoking habit puts you at risk for gum disease and yellow teeth, as well as oral cancers.
7. Allocate budget for family dental care. Don’t let the fear of bills prevent you from getting the dental health services you need. This year, plan your budget to include dental care for yourself and your family.
8. Overcome your fear of going to the dentist. Modern technologies and techniques make dental visits more comfortable than ever, and our staff is very understanding about squeamishness. With everything from aromatherapy to free paraffin hand treatments, we go out of our way to make you not only comfortable but happy to be in our office.
9. Have your wisdom teeth removed. Still holding on to some or all wisdom teeth? Even if there’s no discomfort now, shifting teeth could lead to much more serious and painful surgery in the years to come. Contact us today to see if you need to have you wisdom teeth taken out.
10. Straighten your teeth. We have a variety of options to correct crooked teeth, and doing so will improve your daily life and make dental hygiene easier. We want you to feel confident in showing your beautiful smile to the world!
At My Family Dentistry, your oral health is our priority. We’re here to help you achieve your goals for a healthier, happier 2014. Get in touch with us today to get a head start on your New Year.
What are your healthy New Year’s resolutions? Let us know in the comments!
If you’d like to receive updates from My Family Dentistry, information and tips about dental care, promotions, and more, subscribe to our email newsletter.
Latest posts by Dr. Wesley Mullins (Knoxville Dentist)
- New Patient Dental Exams – What to Expect at Our Dental Office in Powell, TN - August 15, 2022
- Cavities – How To Fight the Most Common Health Condition - August 8, 2022
- Mouth Cancer: What Are the Risks & What Can You Do About It? - August 1, 2022
- Experience a New Approach to Dental Cleanings in Powell, TN With My Family Dentistry - July 25, 2022
- How Does Invisalign Work? Your Secret To Straight Teeth in Powell, TN - July 18, 2022